Safety and Health
The safety and health of our employees is this company’s most important business consideration. Employees will not be required to do a job that they consider unsafe. The company will comply with all applicable workplace safety and health requirements and maintain occupational safety and health standards that equal or exceed the best practices in the industry.
The company will establish a safety committee, consisting of management and labor representatives, whose responsibility will be identifying hazards and unsafe work practices, removing obstacles to accident prevention,and helping evaluate the company’s effort to achieve an accident-and-injury-free workplace.
The company pledges to do the following:
- Strive to achieve the goal of zero accidents and injuries.
- Provide mechanical and physical safeguards wherever they are necessary.
- Train all employees in safe work practices and procedures.
- Conduct routine safety and health inspections to find and eliminate unsafe working conditions, control health hazards, and comply with all applicable safety and health requirements.
- Provide employees with necessary personal protective equipment and train them to use and care for it properly.
- Enforce company safety and health rules and require employees to follow the rules as a condition of employment.
Investigate accidents to determine the cause and prevent similar accidents.
Some basic guidelines (adapted) towards becoming a responsible Health and Safety leader are: (Source: HSE)
- Recognise that the attitudes and decisions of senior managers are critical in setting the priorities of the organisation.
- A manager’s role is not simply restricted to directing work and monitoring compliance with rules and regulations.
- We must, at senior management level, want to hear what is really happening, not what our managers think we want to hear.
- We want our staff to work safely and comply with the rules, but we also want them to show initiative and be proactive in improving health and safety.
- We make sure that health and safety is not viewed as a separate function, but as an integral part of productivity, competitiveness and profitability and that our health and safety risks are recognised as part of our business risks.
- We understand that successful businesses increasingly encourage active participation of the workforce in the management of Health and Safety.
- We know that involving staff in the process of identifying and managing risks is a key aspect of managing Health and Safety successfully.
- We review our progress against agreed objectives at regular intervals and set performance measures.
Take this pledge. Share it with your friends and family. Post it as your status on your favorite social-networking sites. You can never over-educate others (or yourself) about the potential dangers of Safety & Health.
The value of a life cannot be measured in terms of money, production targets achieved, good image of a company or in any other way. A life is not replaceable, especially not for the deceased’s family. It is managements’ responsibility and accountability to ensure a well implemented and maintained working environment as well as for Health and Safety to become a way of life!
Once you’ve taken the pledge, be sure to read more…
Safety Pledge – Documents
- Real World Safety Pledge
- Internet Safety Pledge
- Pledge for Road Safety
- World Safety Declaration